Tips On Using A Trailer Towing Service
Category Towing Service / April 11, 2017
Sometimes, a vehicle owner may find themselves in the situation of needing to tow a trailer with their vehicle. Here are some tips to remember when using a trailer towing service to haul a load.
- Make sure the tongue weight is equal to about 10 to 15 percent of the total weight of the load. If there is not enough rear suspension on the tow vehicle that can accommodate this weight, an equalizing hitch will push some of the weight of the tongue to the front axle.
- When applying the safety chains, make sure to place them in an “x” pattern beneath the trailer. This ensures that, in the event the hitch comes loose, it will drop onto the x-patterned chains instead of the ground. This achieves the ability to maintain more control and also allows the driver to turn in tighter circles.
- Inflate the tires to their maximum pressure. This lets the tires run cooler and will increase gas mileage when using a trailer towing service.
- If the towing trip is a long one, inspect the trailer each time you pull over. Pay close attention to the hitch and make sure the hitch pin and hairpin are still in their proper place.
- If an RV is being towed, it can save a lot of money by dumping the freshwater and gray water tanks and refilling them nearer the destination.
- Check the straps on the load frequently. Even though they may be tightened great at the start of the trip, they will inevitably loosen during the trip due to the jiggling caused by the road.
- If the brakes are of the electrically-operated variety, check that the batteries have a proper charge, or better yet, install fresh batteries before the trip begins. Do not forget to check that the brake shoes are all operating at the same pressure. This can be done by holding them down while driving for about 10 seconds. The temperature they are resonating should all be just about equal.
If any damage is found on the trailer that needs repair, make sure to contact a professional towing repair company such as Usaautoservices.com. They will ensure the trailer is back functioning correctly in no time at all. You can also connect them on Facebook.